Journal Entry #4

December 10, 2003

    This is probably the last journal entry of the year.  I will have limited Internet access at home for the next month.  The last couple of weeks have been extremely stressful, with 3 exams to take, 2 pathology essays to write, true/false CAL questions to answer for pharmacology, and my pathology laboratory notebook to finish.  Last week we began with the class exam in bacteriology.  Wednesday the 3rd of December, we had a written exam in the morning.  I took the exam in the new Wolfson Medical Building on the main campus (with the majority of my class).  I rode my bike down there and was plenty early.  Our written exam went far better than I expected (I guess I was more prepared than I thought), with a whole bunch of multiple choice and true/false questions to answer, then 2 essay questions to answer (out of 3 choices).  I answered the essay questions regarding fungi and disease, and Escherichia coli.  Several hours later, I was back up at the vet school for the practical exam.  I identified all 4 specimens properly (I believe); they were: E. coli, Staphylococcus aureus, Candida albicans, and Clostridium perfringens

    We had a day in between to study for pharmacology, yikes!  Pharmacology was our biggest fear.  I did all I could and was resigned to fail on Friday.  Friday afternoon, I got on my bike and was on my way to the exam when my right pedal fell off!  I became even more stressed, picked up the pedal and walked my bike back home.  That left me 45 minutes to get to the exam on the main campus.  I managed to catch the bus at 1:20pm and even though it was slow (and the drivers changed, taking even more time) I managed to make it to the exam hall with about 10 minutes to spare!  Whew!  Now my poor bike will probably not get fixed until I return in January (luckily I have a relatively new bike at home to ride for exercise this month).  The pharmacology written exam was also better than I expected.  I did skip a fair amount of true/false questions (they are negatively marked if you answer wrong), but I think I did OK overall.  The essay questions I answered were about NSAIDs, gastric ulcers and the drugs used to treat ulcers, and how to advance the breeding period of a flock of ewes (using drugs). 

    This weekend was a long boring one, as parasitology is not too exciting to study.  No matter how much I study, I feel like I don't know enough!  So I was worried about Monday's exam.  We had the practical exam first at 9:30am.  It went better than expected, and I am pretty sure I answered the main question correctly for all 15 stations.  I think I answered at least 90% of the "other questions" correctly.  That portion was only worth 15% anyways (of the 7.5% total that goes towards our main grade).  Then the written exam came in the afternoon.  I walked in the freezing (literally, with ice everywhere) weather to the main campus for the exam.  I felt the parasitology exam was the worst for me, with difficult multiple choice questions and one essay question that I didn't like (but I did like the Toxocara canis essay question).  I'm not looking forward to seeing my grade for that one (but I probably did better than I think). 

    Last night and today I wrote two essays for pathology.  The first was about the lymph node response to injury, and the second was about necrosis and apoptosis.  The painstaking part was writing them by hand in the essay books!  For fear of plagiarism (or something like that) we were not allowed to type our essays.  Now all I have left to do is write up my pathology lab book! seems like there's never any rest here!  At least I get to go home in 2 days.  Hurray!  I don't have to come back here to Glasgow until January 10th, 2004.  I hope to have a good couple of holidays, and wish the same for everyone else (that means you, who is reading my journal). 2003-2006 Cindy Fulton